24 May 2013 150 Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged all parties in Nepal to overcome remaining political obstacles to hold the country's next elections within the existing timetable. In a statement, Mr. Ban's spokesperson said the Secretary-General "has been following events in Nepal closely," and "urges all parties to maintain momentum by overcoming the remaining political obstacles ...
KATHMANDU Tibetan refugees in Nepal say they face increasing restrictions from Nepalese authorities due to pressure from China. VOA correspondent Aru Pande talks to Tibetans who, for decades, have made the Himalayan country their home. Dolma Lama learned to weave Tibetan carpets from her mother - who fled Tibet and settled in Kathmandu after a failed Tibetan uprising against Chinese ...
Nepali security guard killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan A Nepali guard and an Afghan police officer providing security to the International Organisation of Migration's compound in Kabul died in a Taliban assault on Friday, local reports said. Four of the IOM's staff were wounded, one of them seriously burned by a grenade at the group's guesthouse for international workers, ...
Five men who disappeared earlier this week trying to climb the world's third-highest mountain are feared dead, searchers leading the recovery effort in Nepal said on Friday, saying few could survive this ...
The five – two Hungarians, two Nepalis and one South Korean – disappeared on Monday, and bad weather was preventing a rescue helicopter from reaching their base ...
Bend It Like Beckham
Bend It Like Beckham, a culture-clash sports comedy about the difficulties faced by young women who dont embrace their traditional roles and just want to play soccer (I mean, football), was a sleeper hit in England last year and has become a word-of-mouth hit in the U.S. ever since its release a few months ago. Its success on both shores is not particularly surprising since it offers the k ... ...
As the Nepalese political parties deliberate on holding new Constituent Assembly (CA) elections, a whole lot of political churning is taking place in Madhes, the southern plains of Nepal. While efforts are underway from some quarters to form a single party or at least an electoral alliance, some Madhesi leaders are resorting to 'pressure tactics' in order to establish themselves as a ...
Marking the feast of Mary Help of Christians, Day of Prayer for China, Francis speaks of the "grace" to "bear and overcome external and internal oppression with patience and love. "Praying for your enemies, for those who make us suffer" is not easy. "But we are" defeated Christians "if we do not forgive our enemies and if we do not pray for ...
The first to reach the summit; the first to climb without oxygen; the first to climb 10 times; the first woman. On the 60th anniversary of Edward Hillary - a New Zealander - conquering Everest, Mick Conefrey meets the British climbers who ...
A British man climbing Mount Everest to raise money for UK charity Comic Relief may have fallen afoul of the law by making a video call from the top of the mountain. Daniel Hughes summited on Sunday along with scores of other people. But when he got to the top of Everest he did something quite different from the others: He put on a clown nose - the trademark of the charity's fundraising ...
Nepal to participate in Dehradun cricket event A team of Nepali Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) led by Prithu Baskota is set to participate in the 31st All India Uttarakhand Gold Cup Cricket Tournament scheduled to be held from May 26 to June 2, 2013 in Dehradun. Orbanising a press conference in the capital on Thursday, CAN officials informed that the team includes vice-captain Bhuwan Karki ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Le Meridien Dubai
I had taken a rental car from Abu Dhabi and driven up to Dubai, a trip of about 140 kilometres. ...Keep reading
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Nepal NationalNepal National: Nepal News Agency | Latest News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Nepal National is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Nepal news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Nepal news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Nepal news, the weather forecast for Nepal you'll find it all in the Nepal National.
From Birātnagar to Kathmandu, the Nepal National should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
24 May 2013 150 Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged all parties in Nepal to overcome remaining political obstacles to hold the country's next elections within the existing timetable.
In a statement, Mr. Ban's spokesperson said the Secretary-General "has been following events in Nepal closely," and "urges all parties to maintain momentum by overcoming the remaining political obstacles to hold the next elections within the existing timetable of the recent 11-point agreement."
In March, the four major political parties signed an agreement which appointed the country's chief justice to head the government that will oversee the holding of Constituent Assembly elections, effectively ending the political stalemate that began late last year. The agreement has mandated that elections be held by 21 June or mid-December 2013 at the latest.
"The Secretary-General expresses the continuing commitment of the United Nations to work closely with Nepal in support of the peace process," the statement said.
Nepal has been plagued by political disputes since a civil war between Government forces and Maoists formally ended in 2007 and the monarchy was abolished.
The UN has closely supported Nepal's peace process, having had a political mission in the country from 2007 until 2011. ...
- 15 students killed in school van blast in Pakistan
- BSF arrests Pak woman in Samba District of Jammu and Kashmir
- PM to undertake five-day visit to Japan Thailand from Monday
- Nepal Ban urges all parties to maintain momentum to hold elections within timetable
- UN rights experts call for stronger protection of victims of caste-based discrimination
- $2.6 mn necklace spirited away at Cannes Film Festival
- Rahul Gandhi reviews Jharkhand Odisha political situation with state Congress units
- Brad Pitt follows Gwyneth Paltrows dads advice
- Hasselhoff spends $1.95 mn on new home
- Helen Mirren rallies for military charity
- Boys stem cells successfully treat cerebral palsy
- Russia’s Birth Rate up 5.6 in 2012 - Health Minister
- Minister Calls For Involvement Of Society At Every Level During 66th World Health Assembly
- States settle with Cigna over long-term disability insurance
- Court upholds retroactive Medi-Cal cuts
- Whose cat is beautiful Chechen leader vs TV celebrity
- IPL fixers should be banned government must act Sharad Yadav
- TV characters slammed for on-screen unhealthy lifestyles
- European golf tour head apologises for using coloured term while referring to Woods-Garcia spat
- Mona on ‘Mad Men’ part of the Van Patten clan
- Khloe Kardashian keen to have baby boy
- Baby scam tricked clients to look pregnant
- Dead Pa. babys dad believes in divine healing
- Parenting Where To Go 52413
- MEDICAL MIRACLEPregnant Woman Dies Has Baby Comes Back to Life
- Magician of the aviation industry
- Not the way to treat senior citizens
- China-US Commerce through politics
- Taiwanese Filipinos Ditch your egos
- Keeping the peace in Africa The challenge of budgets bureaucracy
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Nepal National headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Nepal Ban urges all parties to maintain momentum to hold elections within timetable
- Nepals Tibetan Refugees Struggle Under Chinas Shadow
- Nepali security guard killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan
- 5 climbers feared dead on worlds third-highest peak in Nepal
- Five climbers feared dead after going missing on Kanchenjunga